KVC Westerlo – Standard

A hesitant spring sun shone in the sky above ’t Kuipje for a match between two teams that had also started the Europe Play-Offs with some hesitation. Both our Kemphanen and the visitors from Liège were eager for points. This eagerness would provide enough fuel for the supporters to warm up in the stands as well.

KVC Westerlo Lineup: S. Bolat, D. Haspolat, M. Frigan (71′ K. Borys), S. Sydorchuk, G. Yow (70′ A. Sayyadmanesh), B. Reynolds, R. Tagir, T. Rommens (91′ E. Jordanov), A. Piedfort, L. Stassin, J. Alcocer (81′ R. Smekens)

First Half

In the quest for points, our Kemphanen proved to be the most active in the early stages. In the first 10 minutes of the first half, Standard goalkeeper Bodart had to be alert twice after actions from an eager Frigan and a busy Alcocer.

The good start of KVCW fueled the fire among the Standard supporters, who expressed their dissatisfaction with their team with smoke bombs after 15 minutes.

A signal that was clearly not misunderstood by their team. Not even two minutes after the smoky interruption, the away team presented themselves twice in front of Bolat’s goal. However, it took three attempts before the Rouches managed to open the scoring.

After the 0-1, our Kemphanen quickly regained control. A rocket from Rommens first shattered on the crossbar, but with the next attack, success followed. Frigan headed the equalizer from close range.

With half-time approaching, our Kemphanen seemed to completely turn the situation around when Tagir – also from close range – took a shot. But the goal for the lead hit the crossbar hard and bounced over.

Second Half

The good start of the first half of our Kemphanen had an even better sequel in the second. Laifis got tangled up in his own box, Stassin showed no mercy and ruthlessly punished the mistake of the Cypriot.

With the lead on the scoreboard, confidence grew among yellow-blue, who even managed to further extend the score from the penalty spot via Yow just 10 minutes later.

With an emptying away section in the background, Standard tried to get back on track. A swerving shot from Alzate surprised Bolat and brought the Rouches back into the game. A late header goal from Laifis even brought the scores level in the end. Thus, a vibrant evening at ’t Kuipje still ended in bitter disappointment.

Report: Glen Van Herck
Photos: Gvg/Photo News