Union – KVC Westerlo

USG against KVC Westerlo, a fixture between two teams labeled as warm community clubs, mainly resulted in a fierce battle for the three points tonight. In a well-attended and rainy Dudenpark, both home and away fans created a pleasant atmosphere to accompany Sayyadmanesh’s first starting appearance for our Kemphanen.

KVC Westerlo Lineup: S. Bolat, J. Bos, S. Sydorchuk (69′ N. Madsen), R. Vermant (96′ R. Tagir), G. Yow (83′ M. Frigan), B. Reynolds, R. Neustädter, T. Van Den Keybus (69′ D. Haspolat), E. Bayram, A. Piedfort, A. Sayyadmanesh (69′ N. Chadli)

First Half

The chants echoing from the stands not only inspired the newly arrived Iranian Kemphaan but also instigated all 22 players to start the game with full dedication. Just 7 minutes in, Van Den Keybus capitalized on a defensive error by the home side and hammered the ball into the net, making it 0-1.

Westerlo continued to dominate, with a lively Sayyadmanesh among others, but also had to remain vigilant against the sharp counterattacks from the home team. In the 15th minute, a one-two between Rasmussen and Loïc Lapoussin pierced through our Kemphanen’s defense. The winger with the alliterative name promptly equalized to 1-1.

The pace remained high, but our chances to score significantly decreased compared to the opening quarter-hour. Just before halftime, Amoura was the one who needed highlighting with his lightning speed. He struck the ball flawlessly, but fortunately for our Kemphanen, it didn’t find the top corner. Thus, we entered halftime with a fair draw after an enjoyable first half.

Second Half

At the beginning of the second half, the woodwork on the opposite end seemed to be blessed by Bolat when faced with the first significant chance after the break. A clever cross from Amoura narrowly missed Nilsson and hit the post.

However, when that same Nilsson turned provider shortly after, neither Bolat nor the woodwork could stop the swift feet of Lapoussin, who gratefully accepted Nilsson’s assist.

With several substitutions on both sides, both Blessin and De Mil attempted to sway the game in their favor. One of those substitutions eventually proved to be decisive. Deep into injury time, Frigan tried to enter the box, but was obstructed by Mac Allister. Referee Van Damme initially let play continue, but was summoned to the VAR screen. After a thorough review of the footage, the penalty was awarded.

There, Madsen once again displayed his expertise by calmly converting the penalty. The draw seemed secured, but was ultimately confirmed by Neustädter, who managed to prevent Nilsson from scoring the 3-2 in the dying moments. An intense battle thus ended in a draw against the league leader.

Report: Glen Van Herck
Photos: Peter De Voecht/Photo News