KVC Westerlo – KV Kortrijk

After the 2-0 loss at Standard de Liège last week, the home game against KV Kortrijk was on the programme today. ‘De Kerels’ were 4 points off the relegation zone and thus still fighting for retention. In the starting eleven at our Kemphans we saw Mathias Fixelles reappear, he came in place of Tuur Dierckx. As for the other ten positions, coach Jonas De Roeck decided not to make any changes compared to the previous match.

Line-up KVC Westerlo: S. Bolat, B. Reynolds, R. Neustaedter, P. Perdichizzi, M. De Cuyper, N. Madsen, L. Van Eenoo, T. Van den Keybus (58′ D. Nene), M. Fixelles (78′ R. Tagir), K. Vaesen (78′ I. Vetokele), N. Chadli (70′ Y. Matsuo)

First half

Already in the fifth minute, we saw a wonderful action by Nicolas Madsen who then sent the ball with a splitting pass towards Van den Keybus. Thomas was flattened but ran just offside so no foul was whistled in our favour, but play simply resumed via goalkeeper Vandenberghe.

Kortrijk started the game with high intensity and tried to play forward as much as possible. Our Kemphans also found themselves at the opponent’s sixteen-metre area a number of times, but we did not see any real chances in the first fifteen minutes. Kyan was also sent through just before the half-hour mark but he too was worked against the pitch with a tackle.

It looked like it was going to be a hard-fought game. In the first half hour we already saw three yellow cards appear, twice for Westerlo and once for Kortrijk. The opponent saw another shot deflected against the post and then Bolat also went briefly wrong. When clearing the ball, he kicked against a Kortrijk striker. The ensuing shot fortunately went wide of goal.

Just before half-time our Kemphans took the lead. A cross from De Cuyper flew up to the far post. Vaesen put his foot against the ball but nobody could clearly see whether it was a goal for him or an owngoal by Watanebe. Immediately after this opening goal, referee De Cremer whistled the first half to an end.

Second half

Just after half-time, VAR was called in for a moment. After a corner kick by De Cuyper, the ball ended up against the opponent’s arm via Chadli’s head. De Cremer decided it was not a foul after which play resumed. In the 60th minute, the lead was doubled. Substitute Nene immediately created a chance with his first ball contact of the match. Vandenberghe could not clear the ball well enough and Vaesen was in the perfect place to head the ball in, 2-0.

A few minutes later, Kortrijk provided the tying goal. Bolat threw the ball up to Nene who saw his pass land against the feet of an opponent. Bruno took the ball and kicked it into the bottom left corner, 2-1. In the 73rd minute, another attack between Nene and Vaesen made it 3-1. Nene was sent away on the left flank and then cut inside. His pass reached a free Vaesen who popped the ball against the ropes. Perfectly played counter from our Kemphans.

Westerlo then saw several more chances appear on the counter. Matsuo kicked hard at Vandenberghe and saw the ball disappear behind the line. After 90 minutes of football, 6 more minutes of extra time came but our Kemphans calmly played out the game and took 3 points!


45+4′ T. Watanebe (1-0)
60′ K. Vaesen (2-0)
63′ M. Bruno (2-1)
73′ K. Vaesen (3-1)