Zulte Waregem – KVC Westerlo

Match report

After losing the past two games against OHL and KRC Genk, we travelled to West Flanders today where Zulte Waregem awaited us. Our starting eleven saw Lukas Van Eenoo back in the starting line-up for the first time since late August after his injury. Bryan Reynolds was also back from injury and rejoined the starting line-up.

Line-up: S. Bolat, E. Jordanov (N. Chadli), R. Neustaedter (45′ R. Seigers), R. Tagir, M. De Cuyper, T. Van den Keybus, N. Madsen (M. Fixelles 77′), L. Van Eenoo, D. Nene (89′ K.Vaesen), L. Foster (89′ I. Vetokele)

First half

Early in the match, our Kemphians took the lead through a rehearsed corner kick. Madsen played the ball short to De Cuyper who then swung it towards the far post. Foster was able to head the ball back to Neustaedter who then just had to tap the ball into the goal, 0-1.

We then saw Zulte Waregem go in search of the equaliser. We almost managed to capitalise on a counter through Lyle Foster and Dorgeles Nene. Foster was sent down the left flank and released his fellow striker. Nene finished but saw Bossut intervene superbly to fend off the shot.

Just before half-time, Madsen had another chance to double the lead. He was able to take a shot towards the far corner but saw his shot go over the goal. Zulte Waregem could hardly find the Westel goal in the first half, so our Kemphans deservedly headed for the dressing room with a 0-1 lead.

Second half

At half-time a change was made, Rubin Seigers replaced goal scorer Roman Neustaedter. Zulte Waregem’s players clearly came out of the dressing room very driven and could immediately note an effort through Brüls.

Thanks to the high line of the Waregem defence, there was room for counter attacks. In minute 53, we saw Foster cross the entire Waregem half and then attempt a shot, which unfortunately went high over.

In minute 72, we got back on level terms. Vossen got the ball across from substitute Drambaev and managed to head the ball against the nets, 1-1. A few minutes later, our Kemphans saw the 1-2 still cleared off the line. Nene was pushed to the ground in the penalty area and Chadli almost got the ball into the goal.

Zulte Waregem almost took the lead. Vossen was once again able to head in on goal. His header ended up on the goal line via the crossbar. Not much later, the opponent saw another header end up against the outside of the post, here we got away well twice. Then the match came to an end. After an early opening goal, we should return to ’t Kuipje with a point.


R. Neustaedter 0-1 (9′)
J. Vossen 1-1 (72′)