This afternoon, KVC Westerlo went to the King Power at Den Dreef stadium to give host OH Leuven the go-ahead. That it was a match at the cutting edge was written in the stars. Winner of the game could put his mark in the bag and meddle in the title debates at the top of the rankings.

The match started with a very sharp OHL. Westerlo had a hard time in the opening quarter and barely got out of it. Later on, Coach Bob Peeters told us that the intention was to sink low and give OHL the ball, even though our ruffs were not immediately awake and rather sloppy in their play. OHL, on the other hand, fully believed in his chances and with an enthusiastic home support it went to war. Westerlo tried to hold out but OHL insisted the most to make the opening goal.

There was a sudden commotion in minute 12 when goalkeeper Berke özer OHL striker Aguemon hit the ground. The result was a justified penalty kick. Everyone in the stadium held their breath but Berke chose the right angle! With a great save he took Henry’s ball from the bottom right corner.

Westerlo got off with a fright and it looked like the penalty was the wake-up call our ruffs needed. Westerlo grew more in the game and often put his foot next to OHL. In minute 26′ even a first time could be cheered. Specialist Brüls put himself behind the ball with a free kick close to the sixteen meter area. The ball deviated, giving goalkeeper Keet no chance. Our club was suddenly flattered by the lead in the King Power at Den Dreef stadium.

Westerlo did everything in his power to get this flattered lead into the break. In minute 44′ Abrahams made a mistake on Maertens which also allowed OHL to take a dangerous free kick. Specialist Mercier was immediately behind the ball at OHL. He painted the free kick cleverly in the right corner. The signs hung so evenly and the second half would be the deciding factor. Even then we knew that it would be about details, who takes his moments in this match and draws the sheet to himself for good?

The beginning of the second half gave a different game image than the first half, this time it was Westerlo who pushed the accelerator and immediately came to the best chances! At first Buyl found goalkeeper Keet still on his way, but in the corner kick that followed it was Dewaele who was able to work the 1-2 lead against the ropes in the squabbling!

Westerlo was freed after the lead and was barely in trouble despite 3 OHL offensive substitutions. It even became 1-3. Deep in the added time it was Christophe janssens who could make it 1-3. Match completely played and a deserved victory for KVC Westerlo. Westerlo closes the 22nd matchday on a shared leader position with Lommel SK and Beerschot VA.

At the usual press conference afterwards, coach Bob Peeters pointed out that his team had a nervous start. Westerlo was impressed by the home support. It was a tactical choice to sink a little deeper and leave the ball to OHL. During the break, Bob Peeters urged his team to remain patient and simple. It’s about catching moments in 1B and Westerlo used those moments perfectly today.

Next Saturday, January 25th, Westerlo will receive KSV Roeselare at home. This match also promises to be an exciting battle as everything is close together in the standings. If KVC Westerlo wants to make a throw to period 2, it is best to continue his series of victories.

KVC WESTERLO: Berke, Biset, Dewaele, Van Eenoo, Remmer, Buyl, Van Den Bogaert, Keïta, Brüls, Vetokele, Abrahams.

OH LEUVEN: Keet, Tshimanga, Schuermans, Ngawa, Aguemon, Henry, Mercier, Sowah, Duplus, Maertens, Keita

Goals: 27′ Brüls (0-1), 44′ Mercier (1-1), 57′ Dewaele (1-2), 90′ +4 Janssens (1-3)

Report written by: Ruben Van Elst

Pictures taken by: Luc Meynaerts

Translated with (free version)



Team Pnt
Antwerp 27
KRC Genk 22
Club Brugge 19
OH Leuven 17
Standard 16
Union 16
KAA Gent 14
Anderlecht 13
Charleroi 12
KVC Westerlo 12
KV Mechelen 11
KV Oostende 12
KV Kortrijk 7
KAS Eupen 6
RFC Seraing 6
Cercle Brugge 6
Zulte Waregem 5