Preview Waasland-Beveren – KVC Westerlo
The Brussels hurdle was finally taken with much bravado and flair. Not a single ball was put between the posts by the home team. The statistics were also respected: scoring in every away game and the goals: they fell between minute 60 and 90. Waasland Beveren is our next opponent. What do we know about them?
Waasland-Beveren want to get back on track at all costs this season. Before the winter break, they recorded varied results, especially in home games they appeared to be struggling. Therefore, during the winter break, some reinforcements were brought in. First of all, the coach of Seraing, the Spaniard Jordi Condom, made the move to the Waasland. Not as a coach, but as sports director. He immediately went looking for reinforcements for the Swiss coach Marc Schneider. In defense they found Manuel da Costa. This 35-year-old Portuguese Moroccan defender is already at his 15th club in 16 professional years. There were some nice clubs among them, such as: Fiorentina, Sampdoria, PSV, West Ham United and Olympiakos. Beveren finally went to get him at Büyüksehir Belediye Erzurumspor, a Turkish club playing in the highest division. The midfield was reinforced with an ex-Red Devil. Guillaume Gillet could have chosen to continue his career at his mother club, RFC Liege, but he chose to accept the offer from the 1B club. Guillaume is now also already 37 years old and he will have to direct the young guard in midfield. A Kenyan attacking midfielder has also recently joined the payroll. Eric Johana Omondi was taken over from Jönköpings Södra, a Swedish first division team. He could present nice statistics there. Scored 14 goals in 2 seasons. On the attacking flanks there were no less than 3 new players: the Moroccan Abdel Al Badaoui, the Brazilian Lucas Ribeiro Costa and the Senegalese Aliou Balde. The first featured for 4 years in Seraing, where he made 90 appearances, in which he managed to score 21x and give the decisive pass 5x. The second is already in his fourth Belgian club, after passages at Virton (8 games – 4 goals), Charleroi (10 games – 0 goals), RWDM (12 games – 0 goals) and Mouscron (16 games – 6 goals). Baldé will be loaned out by Feyenoord for a few months to gain more experience. In the Dutch Eredivisie he currently made 4 appearances.
Team against Virton (0-4 win): Jackers, Jacobsen, Wuytens, da Costa, Tshimanga, Gillet, Verstraete, Bertone, Reyners, Al Badaoui en Maderner.
Not a single moment were our Kemphans embarrassed at the Edmond Machtens Stadium. This group was even able to cope with the loss of 3 base players: the long-term injured Tuur Dierckx and the 2 suspended Maxim De Cuyper and Thomas Van Den Keybus.
Their replacements did an excellent job, and that is the strength of this group. The core is big, but the hunger is even bigger. When you see how people celebrated after the second redeeming goal: that says it all. Substitutes and base: it was a real team effort.
This mentality was also the reason why a third player from Bruges wanted to gain experience with us. Tibo Persyn could also have played half a year in Charleroi, but a phone call to his old pals – he already played with Simon, Thomas and Maxim – was enough to put his signature under a contract with Westerlo. For Sunday’s match, there is a large core to choose from. Only Mamoutou N’Diaye and Tuur Dierckx are still sidelined. Pietro, after that unfortunate kick on his ankle by El Ouahdi, took it a bit easier, but should be ready to play on Sunday.
- Goalkeeper David Jensen played his 250th game in his professional career against RWDM.
- Edi Jordanov managed to play champion already 5 times. He did so with Union (2021), F91 Dudelange (2019-2018-2017) and FC Hansa Rostock U19 (2010). In 2020, he also finished with Virton in first place in the standings in 1B, but that was still with the system of final matches between the period champions.
- Rubin Seigers also got to hold the championship trophy for 2 years in a row. He did so with KRC Genk in 2019 and Beerschot in 2020.
- Both Pietro Perdichizzi and Kouya Mabea have to watch out for a suspension day. In fact, they are both on 4 yellow cardboard tickets.
- Thomas Van Den Keybus and Maxim De Cuyper have already played 45 professional matches together.
- Our captain Lukas Van Eenoo currently has 49 goals in his professional career, distributed over 5 clubs: Westerlo (23), Cercle Brugge (18), Roeselare (4), Kortrijk (3) and OH Leuven (1).
- That youth product Kyan Vaesen is the most involved in our goals. He managed to score 3x himself and for now he is our assist king with 5 pieces.
- That striker Lyle Foster has played 2 more matches in the main force of AS Monaco in 2019.
5 last mutual duels
- 07/11/2021 KVCW – WBE 1-1 ⚽️ DACI
- 12/09/2021 WBE – KVCW 0-2 ⚽️ Dierckx, Bernat
- 24/09/2019 WBE – KVCW 3-4 ⚽️ Janssens, Keita, Gboho, De Schryver
- 28/01/2017 WBE – KVCW 0-0
- 07/11/2015 WBE – KVCW 2-2 ⚽️ Gounongbe(2)
An experienced referee was appointed for this topper in 1B. The 29-year-old Wesli De Cremer will lead the match. This season he only worked in the 1A series. In the past we have had him 9 times as a match referee and those statistics do not look very good.
2 wins, 3 draws and 4 losses. Now our opponent is doing even worse with him. 1 victory and 4 defeats and not yet a home game won with him as referee.
Text and statistics: Peter Boons