Preview Lierse Kempenzonen – KVC Westerlo
Saturday the 40th Kempisch derby is on the program. Lierse Plezierke has an unbeaten status at the Lisp this season, our Kemphans are looking for the three points after the past one out of six.
The Pallieters have already had a successful season. Especially when you look at their point total. Last season they had amassed 16 points after 28 match days, this season they have the same number after 11 matches. Quite an achievement for our neighbors. Coach Tom Van Imschoot had almost a whole new core at his disposal. Only 8 players (of the 27) were allowed to stay. Goalkeepers Bernd Brughmans and Jarno De Smet, defenders Jo Gillekens and Brent Laes and midfielders Scott Bitsindou and Tibeau Swinnen already wore the yellow and black jersey last season. The 2 Belgian youngsters who belonged to the A core, right back Pieter De Schrijver and winger Maxime Limbombe were also allowed to stay. The rest were out. In their place came 10 Belgians and 1 Malagasy, including 4 ex-Westerners. Kenneth Schuermans, Guillaume De Schryver, Nils Schouterden and Jens Naessens walked around in the Kuipje in the past.
We all know their qualities. Who were the other acquisitions? Right back Jonathan Hendrickx, the man who (almost) never misses a penalty kick, Joeri Poelmans, who returned to the Lisp after 3 years abroad. Midfielders Thibaut Van Acker and Alexander Maes, who are also seasoned pros. Familiar names were also brought in on the flanks: Stallone Limbombe and Yvan Yagan. Deep in the striker’s box is Hakim Abdallah, the only real foreigner in the core. In the past he was on the payroll of Stoke City and FC Nantes.
A few facts:
– Goalkeeper Jarno De Smet and Kenneth Schuermans were the only ones to play all 990 minutes.
– Van Acker and Abdallah also started in all games, but they were replaced once.
– Yvan Yagan, on a blue Monday still an international of Armenia, is the player who is replaced the most, in 9 games he was allowed to change early.
– Guillaume De Schryver does just the opposite. He came on the field as a substitute already 9 times.
– Kenneth Schuermans is the top marksman with his 5 goals.
– Alexander Maes is the assist king with his 4 pieces.
– The same Maes is, together with Stallone Limbombe (six times), the most involved in a goal. Alexander scored twice and provided four assists, Stallone keeps it balanced: 3 goals and 3 assists
– None of the 5 home games this season were lost.
– Only 1 clean sheet has been recorded.
– Lierse scored more in the second half and most between minute 60 and 75.
The past one out of six was disappointing. We mustn’t hide that fact. Especially when you actually could have won these 2 games, if you had finished the chances. However, in terms of soccer technique, physical stamina and mental spirit, our Kemphans are strong. We also saw that in the practice match against Beerschot. There, the chances were finished off at 100%. And… they were all of a good standard after some fine preparatory work. Every yellow and blue fan (even if we play Saturday in our Tiffany outfit) hopes for a three-point victory. It’s up to our boys to make it happen. Only Edi Jordanov and Tuur Dierckx will remain on the sidelines. Edi injured himself in his first international game for Bulgaria after only 15 minutes of play, he would not have been there anyway, as he had to serve a day of suspension after 5 yellow cards. Igor Vetokele and Christoffer Remmer are selectable again after their injuries. Igor was good for an assist for Léo Seydoux and Remmer played one half on the left back position. Jan Bernat was also away for a few days with the national U21 of Slovakia. He will not return until Thursday. The likely eleven starters will be: David Jensen, Léo Seydoux, Rubin Seigers, Pietro Perdichizzi, Kouya Mabea, Thomas Van den Keybus, Lukas Van Eenoo, Jan Bernat or Igor Vetokele, Maxim De Cuyper, Erdon Daci and Lyle Foster.
– Goalkeeper Jensen repeatedly opts for his orange outfit
– Right back Léo Seydoux is not related to the famous actress Lea Seydoux
– Lukas Van Eenoo is a magician in the making and surprises us every day with a trick
– Koen Van Langendonck sees through every one of Lukas’ tricks
– Our coach Jonas De Roeck has played 113 matches for Lierse.
– That the same coach also played 6 matches together with Stallone Limbombe, when they were in the core of Antwerp together (2014/2015).
– 64% of Westel’s goals are scored in the second half.
– 3 players played the full 990 minutes: Jensen, Perdichizzi and Van Eenoo
– Kyan Vaesen and Jan Bernat each had to be sent off early ten times.
Jordy Vermeire will be the referee on duty. He whistled his first professional match in August 2017. After that, 54 more matches would follow. Already nine times we had him as a match referee. Each time with a positive result. 5x win, 3x draw and 1x loss. The last one was in 2017 when we lost 3-1 against the later champion Cercle Brugge.
The Pallieters have already met him five times. Once as the old Lierse (also loss in 2017 against the same Cercle Brugge) and four times as the Kempenzonen (1x loss and 3 draws).
Statistics and text: Peter Boons