Preview KVC Westerlo – RE Virton
Will the Westelse train continue to roll, or will revelation Virton walk away with points in Het Kuipje. Below you’ll find some interesting facts about this match.
The only club from the province of Luxembourg in professional soccer can easily be called the revelation of the current season. Everyone expected them to have a very difficult year, but look at them, they’re in sixth place. Every week they get stronger, and they get better used to each other. On away grounds, things are not really going well yet (2 out of 12), but at the last away game against Waasland Beveren, they were really close. 0-3 after 20 minutes, but still going down in the last 10 minutes.
The team went through quite a metamorphosis. Last season they did not receive a license and all players went elsewhere. In the search for new forces, they mainly came to Italian (lower) clubs. At least 5 newcomers played last year in the boot. Three of them were also in the starting line-up last week: right back Ghazoini (Ascoli), central defender Rizzo (Genoa) and defensive midfielder Kryeziu (Torino). A few players in our own country were also found willing to go to the Gaume region.
Cult figure and goalkeeper Anthony Sadin (RWDM), flank defenders Vinck (without a club) and Hamzaoui (Union), attacking midfielders Allach and Aabbou (both Lierse Kempenzonen) and striker Din Sula (Waasland Beveren) thus travelled to the southernmost town in Belgium.
One of the last acquisitions was Thomas Touré. This Ivorian left-winger was in the starting line-up for the first time last week and immediately showed his qualities. Between 2014 and 2018 he was under contract with Girondins Bordeaux and then he was even in the core of Les Elephants, the national team of his country.
The conductor of this team is former Red Devil Christophe Grégoire. As a professional player, he played his games for Mouscron (134), AA Gent (90), Charleroi (23), Anderlecht (7) and Dutch Willem II (47). In 2014, he hung his shoes on the hook to become coach of his then team: RFCB Sprimont. Afterwards, he also trained the Liege RFC Seraing for the period of three years. Since July of this year, he is the coach of Virton, with whom he averages 0.86 points per match.
Formation last match day at home against Lierse:
Sadin, Ghazoini(67′ Hamzaoui), Rizzo, Doue, Droehnlé, Touré, Guillaume(73’Sula), Kryeziu(53′ Karamoko), Touré, Anne, Aabbou.
⚽ 18′ Anne (1-0)
⚽ 27′ Anne (2-0)
The upside last week was the long-term loss of Tuur Dierckx. For the current assist king of the 1B Pro League, the season is probably over. The drizzly Friday training was fatal to him. Coach De Roeck immediately decided not to continue with the rest of the practice session. Some of our guys were also affected by the serious injury. Tuur wanted to be there at all costs during the trip to our black beast RWDM, where he followed the game in the stands next to our vice-chairman Hasan Cetinkaya. After the (again) maturely played match and ditto victory, our number 55 was on the field with us to celebrate with the rest of the group. Once again indicates the excellent mentality that prevails at our Kemphans this season.
Mabea rejoined the team and Maxim De Cuyper moved up the ranks again, displacing Jan Bernat to the right flank. MDC was very decisive last week. With a goal -almost a second- and an assist, he was man of the match.
On the road we stay clear, in the Kuip we had to be satisfied with 2 wins and 2 draws.
Last 5 meetings
01/09/2019 REV – KVCW 1-0
05/10/2019 KCVW – REV 0-1
30/11/2019 REV – KVCW 1-1 Abrahams (0-1)
22/02/2020 KVCW – REV 2-1 Brüls (1-0), Gboho (2-1)
15/08/2021 REV – KVCW 0-2 Van Eenoo (0-1), Bernat (0-2)
Young Simon Bourdeaud’hui (25 years old) will referee this match. This season he made his debut in professional soccer when he had the opportunity to lead the East-Flanders derby between Waasland Beveren and Deinze on the second match day.
Our opponent has already had him in that lost match in Beveren, we will look him in the eye for the first time.
- Edi Jordanov is going to be the only player on the field with connections between both teams? Edi played 25 games for Virton in the 19/20 season, scoring twice and providing five assists.
- That same Jordanov should watch out for his fifth yellow card and ditto matchday suspension.
- He’s not the only player who has to watch out for that little yellow card? Central defender Doue from Virton has also received the same number of cards.
- Erdon Daci started twice and scored twice in these games.
- Our Macedonian striker now has the highest market value (700 thousand) of our team, after the loss of Tuur Dierckx.
- Virton have the highest number of non-Belgians (78.6%) in their core.- And that they have the 1st youngest core (average 23 years) in the series. Lommel has an average of 22.5 years.
- Our Kemphans so far did not manage to score in the first half during a game at the Kuipje.
- That Virton mainly scores its goals in the first half (66.7%) and then usually between minute 15 and 30.
- Coach Grégoire has been teammate of De Roeck (5 games played together), Messoudi (14 games) and Bart Goor (1 game). With Jonas he played together in Belgium U21 and AA Gent, with Mo he was together at Willem II Tilburg and with Bart Goor at Anderlecht.
Statistics and text: Peter Boons