Preview KVC Westerlo – Lommel
After the accident de course, we will be looking to regain honor. What comes now are 3 home games in one week. Sunday’s game is also dedicated to the celebration of our heroes of 2001. But what do we know about the Lommel of 2022?
Just before the New Year, the Limburg club changed coaches. The sympathetic Dutchman Peter van der Veen stepped down and was replaced by the 56-year-old Brazilian Luiz Felipe Gonçalves Ferreira. In the 4 games that he managed to coach so far, he could not leave the field victorious. Like every team, Lommel went looking for winter bargains. Especially in midfield, they were looking for experience. They found this in Frenchman Théo Pierrot, ex-Seraing, and Bryan Smeets, a Dutch attacking midfielder who was taken over from Sparta Rotterdam. Up front, Alonso Martinez joined them. This Costa-Rican right-winger won 3 prizes last season just like that. Champion, winner of the Concacaf-League and player of the season, and all this with his club LD Alajuelense. But they also lost an ex-Kemphaan. Arno Verschueren is namely going back on in the Dutch premier league. Sparta Rotterdam plucked him away from the Soevereinstadion.
Formation against Lierse (0-1 defeat): Fiermarin, Neven, Tolinsson, Kis, Belghali, Henkens, Thordarson, Vandersmissen, Diego Rosa, Sales en Arzani.
Did you know?
- Brazilian striker Arthur Sales is the top marksman with 6 goals in 9 games played.
- Their last away win dates back to September 25, 2021, when they won 1-2 at the field of RWDM.
- In fact, the last time Lommel came to win at the Kuipje dates back to September 15, 2012. Then the Limburgers came to win 0-2 at the Kuipje. One of those assists on that Saturday night came from the foot of one Hans Vanaken.
- With Diego Rosa and Kolbeinn Thordarson 2 players are on edge for a suspension week.
Team KVC Westerlo
A regrettable defeat at the Freethiel we knew last week. Now 2 defeats in 17 games is not to be dramatized. If we counted the chances Beveren deservedly won this match. Heads up and finish the next 3 games with a good result is the assignment. Three home games in one week, you can’t make it up. But also the ideal moment to boost the point total. Although statistically we are better off than at home. In our 8 home games we won 4 times and drew 4 times, away from home we recorded 7 wins and 2 losses. All-rounder Mathias Fixelles, who came over from Kortrijk, can also call himself a Kemphaan. Mathias was able to take the Champions Cup with Union last season, he hopes to do so again in April. Pietro Perdichizzi will have to miss this match, as he received his fifth yellow cardboard on Sunday. Our ever-friendly coach Jonas De Roeck will have to make choices, as he has no fewer than 27 fit players at his disposal.
Did you know?
- We will start using our new scoreboard for the first time this weekend
- Goalkeeper David Jensen and captain Lukas Van Eenoo, are the only 2 players that have currently completed all the minutes
- That Mabea and Fixelles have to watch out for a fifth yellow card, Mathias just takes his cards with him from Kortrijk. Still sympathetic of our new player from Hainaut, who by the way speaks very good Dutch.
- Our cup heroes of 2001 are coming to visit and we give them an extra moment de gloire. We already wanted to do this last year, when it was just 20 years ago that they conquered that beautiful Cup of Belgium for us, but due to coronation measures we had to put our plans on hold for a while.
The 39-year-old Ken Vermeiren may come to the Kuipje once more. The last time he was our guest, was on game day 5 when Deinze came to visit. That game ended in a draw (2-2), and he had to search his back pocket for a yellow card no less than eight times. That afternoon, he also whistled an elfmeter, which was converted by Tuureke Dierckx.
In the past, we had Ken as a match leader eleven times, only once did we win. On 11 January 2020, we won 2-1 against … Lommel, after goals from Lukas Van Eenoo – who always scores against Lommel – and Christian Brüls.
Lommel is the club that Ken has managed the most. No less than 15 games he already came into action for our opponent.
They have slightly more luck with him. They won 7 games, drew 3 and lost 5.
5 last mutual duels
- 01.10.2021 2-0 ⚽️ Daci en Van Eenoo
- 15.02.2021 1-1 ⚽️ Van Eenoo
- 06.12.2020 2-1 ⚽️ Van Eenoo, Cicek
- 11.01.2020 2-1 ⚽️ Van Eenoo en Brüls
- 02.11.2019 1-1 ⚽️ Abrahams
Text and statistics: Peter Boons