Preview KVC Westerlo – KMSK Deinze
Sunday’s win against Lommel was over-deserved. Scoring every time at the beginning of each half, and then taking full control of the game. For both sides, this match is important. Our Kemphans can put first pursuer RWDM on 11 points, for Deinze a victory means that they get back in touch with that same RWDM and Beveren, and so they can still compete for promotion at the end of the season.
Team KMSK Deinze
Wim De Decker’s team is this season’s tied games champion. No less than 10 games out of 18 ended in a tie. However, Deinze was also the team that handed us one of the two defeats. On the tenth match day, they won against us in their own Burgemeester VandeWiele Stadion with 2-1, after a late goal by Denis Prychynenko. During the winter break they brought in 2 new players. However, since this is a postponed match, neither of them will be eligible to play. Robbe Quirynen played the first 6 months of this season at Royal Antwerp FC after his loan to Mouscron, and in midfield Canadian international Liam Fraser joined the team. Recently, the club – like so many other 1B clubs – was taken over by a foreign investor. President Denijs Van De Weghe found in the group ACA Football Partners, from Singapore, the ideal investor to make his plans come true. There are even said to be advisors on the way who have worked at AC Milan, Feyenoord and Malaga in the past. Last weekend, the following 11 players kicked off in the 1-1 draw against Lierse: Vandenberghe in goal, at the back from right to left were Quirynen, Boone, Blondelle and Vansteenkiste. The central midfield was populated by Gaëtan Hendrickx and Djihad Bizimana, the flanks were accounted for by Challouk and Abrahams and the 2 strikers were Mertens and Dansoko. The latter again managed to score a world class goal against Lierse – he did this last season too. For the fans: via youtube you can watch his 2 brilliant goals again.
Did you know?
- Since the introduction of the current format of 1B, Deinze has been in the lead of the standings once. This was this season after game day 2.
- Ex-Kemphaan Christophe Janssens has the most yellow cards. He has already collected 8 of them.
- Another well-known player for us, Kurt Abrahams, is the assist king of the current Deinze. He gave the final decisive pass to a goal five times already.
- There will already be 2 players playing in 1A next season? Goalkeeper Tom Vandenberghe and winger Youssef Challouk have already signed a contract to join KV Kortrijk.
- Dylan De Belder is the only player in the current core who played all his games this season. He started 16 times and played 2 substitute games.
Team KVC Westerlo
Just like Deinze, we also have 2 players who are not be eligible to play. Mathias Fixelles – after a very successful debut – is not eligible to play for this match. Tibo Persyn, who was still on the bench on Sunday, will also have to spend Wednesday evening in the stands. The reaction after the defeat in Beveren was magnificent. Whether this had anything to do with the presence of the 2001 Cup heroes, we won’t go into now. Pietro Perdichizzi, who was suspended on Sunday because of too many yellow cards, will be back tomorrow. Only N’Diaye and Dierckx remain out of contention, the rest of the core is fit.
Did you know?
- We have Union’s record – of number of consecutive leadership positions – in our sights. Union was number 1 for 20 match days last season, we are currently at 17 match days.
- We have only failed to score in 1 home game, namely on matchday 1 we failed to get further than a scoreless draw against RWDM.
- We have 3 players in the core who have started all league games, namely goalkeeper Jensen, captain Van Eenoo and Jan Bernat .
- But Jan Bernat is also is the player who was replaced the most early. In 16 of those 18 games he left the field early.
- Erdon Daci scored 6 of his 9 goals in his own Kuipje.
5 last mutual duels
- 18.11.2020 3-0 ⚽️ Van Eenoo, Vetokele, Cicek
- 28.02.2021 4-1 ⚽️ Vetokele, Keita, Cicek (2)
- 06.12.2020 2-2 ⚽️ Dierckx, Van den Keybus
Michiel De Cuyper is the man who will have to steer everything in the right direction. Deinze appears to be his favorite club. This season it will be the fourth time – out of 7 refereed matches – that he will look the “Oostvlamingen” in the eye.
Remarkable is that of those past 3 games, 2 were lost by our opponent, at home against RWDM (1-2) and at Mouscron (2-0). So when you know that Deinze only had 3 losses this season, you know that he is not really a lucky player at the moment.
For us, he’s going to be the third time in action. Previously we had him in 2019, 0-2 win in Roeselare and in 2020, 3-1 defeat in RWDM. So it will be the first time he is a guest at the Kuipje.
Text and statistics: Peter Boons