Preview KAA Gent
After visiting the student city of Leuven, this time our bus heads for Gent. The Ghelamco Arena: in recent years everyone has passed it at least once along the motorway, but this time we will actually stop there. For Gent the second consecutive home game, for our Kemphans the second consecutive away game.
The result in the King Power@Den Dreef was disappointing. Our Kemphans dictated the law in Flemish Brabant, but two small mistakes were immediately punished.
During the post-match discussion in the dressing room, we noted two important words from our coach. “Heads Up” he emphasised.
Some players had some minor ailments after the match. Our medical staff worked hard to get them all fit to play again.
Pietro Perdichizzi will certainly not be there. He ended up with one effective penalty day, after falling on the ball in the penalty area at Leuven with his hands.
His logical replacement would be Ravil Tagir, especially as our coach likes to play central back with both a right- and left-footer.
Dorgeles Nene and Nicolas Madsen fell just short of the core last week, so we’ll see if our coach will fit them into the squad this time.
Did you know
– This will be the 19th game between us
– We won 4 times, drew twice and lost 12 times
– The statistics in the renovated Ghelamco Arena are not in our favour (3 games – 3 losses – goal difference of 2 goals for and 14 goals against)
– Both Sunday coaches have faced each other once in the past.
– When STVV (Jonas De Roeck) won with 1-0 from Anderlecht (Vanhaezebrouck)
– We already played against each other before the season, and we won in the Kuipje with 6-2.
– Kyan Vaesen scored 3 goals back then.
The written press (read Het Nieuwsblad) crowned the Buffaloes as candidate number 1 to win the title this season. This was mainly due to the presence of coach Vanhaezebrouck, who knows the club inside out.
After two days of play, the East-Flanders are in a shared 14th place. Not won, but not lost either is the verdict. At Standard they drew 2-2, last week they received STVV at home and came not further than a 1-1.
Did you know
– Goalkeeper Davy Roef has 6 selections for the Red Devils, but has not yet been given any effective playing minutes.
– The 3 central defenders: the Kenyan Okumu, the Cameroonian Ngadeu and the German Torunarigha together have a market value of 13 million Euros. If you know that the entire core of our Kemphans is worth 24 million together.
– Right wing Matisse Samoise is a real Gantoise product. He made his debut as an 18-year-old and became a regular last season with 45 appearances, 2 goals and 6 assists.
– There is a Spanish Belgian on the other flank, listening to the name Castro-Montes. Alessio started his career with STVV, then joined the ranks of Eupen for 2 seasons, and is now starting his fourth season with the Buffaloes.
– Central in midfield, Sven Kums is still the main player. His counter currently stands at 222 appearances for Gent. Together with striker Depoitre, he is the only remaining member of the team that won the national championship in 2015.
– Dane Andrew Hjulsager will take on the role of number 10, although the Gent board seems to want to revert to Ukrainian Roman Bezus, who is currently without a contract and could not get a contract extension at … Gent this summer.
– Hugo Cuypers – who was high on HVH’s wishlist – and Tissoudali would normally be the strikers, were it not for the fact that the latter tore his cruciate ligament last week, and thus missed out on participating in this year’s World Cup.
Referee Wim Smet
– 39 years old
– 288 professional appearances
– Including 3 international appearances
– Refereeed once before AA Gent – KVC Westerlo
– On 20 November 2015 it then became 5-0
– 18th time visiting Ghent
– The Buffaloes won 14 times, drew once and lost twice
Our Kemphanen saw Smet whistling 14 confrontations for them on the road. We won 4 times, drew 5 times and lost 5 times.