Preview Cercle Brugge
Ready, set and off we go. We had to wait no less than 1853 days to be able to play another professional league game in the real First Division.
Het Kuipje will be the place to be on Sunday evening, when Cercle Brugge pay us a visit.
Setting a goal, and then achieving it: you just have to be able to do it. When Mr Oktay took control of our club 3 years ago, he had a vision for the future that was achieved through hard work on and off the pitch. We are now where he wanted us to be, and the next goal is to stay here for good. In recent years, the 1B promoter has proven to be the revelation of the season. The writing press is apparently unanimous that this will also happen with Westerlo. Let’s keep our Kempish sobriety and see what’s possible, we think. Only Danish goalkeeper David Jensen is missing from last year’s starting line-up. The rest of the team quickly signed on, some even for several years.
However, if you are going to play at a higher level, the team needs to be reinforced. Our scouting cell did not sit still either, and together with the sports staff, the following names were presented for the new season: In goal, Sinan Bolat (AA Gent) and Nick Gillekens (Mouscron) joined. In defence, it is right back Bryan Reynolds (AS Roma- KV Kortrijk) and central defender Ravil Tagir (Basaksehir). In the centre we find Nicolas Madsen (Heerennveen) and also in our attack we got 3 new players: Halil Akbunar (Göztepe), Nene Dorgeles (Red Bull Salzburg – SV Ried) and the young American prospect Griffin Yow.
Everyone is curious to see which starting line-up our coach, Jonas De Roeck, will come up with. Only Kouya Mabea will certainly not be selected, as he is still serving a (red) day of suspension from last season.
Line-up Westerlo -AZ (0-1)
Bolat, Jordanov, Seigers, Perdichizzi, De Cuyper, Neustädter, Van Eenoo, Dierckx, Van den Keybus, Daci and Vaesen
Did you know?
– Lukas Van Eenoo has a patent to score the opening goal of the season
– He did so in 2019 (Lommel-playday 1), in 2020 (Seraing-playday 3) and in 2021 (Virton-playday 1)
– He is also looking for the 100th decisive action of his career.
– He scored 51x and provided 48 assists
– He wore the green and black jersey of Cercle in 148 games between 2008 and 2014.
– Lyle Foster and Igor Vetokele also had a history with the club.
– Lyle played in 18 matches in the 19-20 season (1 goal and 1 assist).
– Igor was on the payroll from 2011 until 2013 with the Westvlingen, where he played 40 games, scored 9 goals and provided 7 assists.
Together with Leuven and ourselves, the club is named as the revelation of the coming season. That promises to be a fun opening game. The green and blue are led by Austrian Dominik Thalhammer. He took over the baton from Yves Vanderhaeghe last season on 28 November. Since then, 18 games have been played, with an average of 1.78 points per game. 9 wins, 5 draws and only 4 losses. A nice achievement if you know that Cercle was in 17th place at the end of November, 4 points behind number 16.At the end, he parked his team on place 10, with no less than 17 points ahead of the penultimate place. Two players left the starting line-up from last season. Goalkeeper Thomas Didillon became second goalkeeper in Monaco and revelation of the season Rabbi Matondo went to Scottish top club Rangers FC. In their place came 5 new players. Three of them with a Monaco past. Polish goalkeeper Radoslaw Majecki and Frenchmen Lucas Tarade (central defender) and Louis Torres (left back). Striker Emilio Kehrer came over from the second team of German side Freiburg and the top acquisition is Japanese striker Ayase Ueda, who netted 14 times in 23 games last season. He comes over from Kashima Antlers.
Dender-Cercle line-up (0-5)
Warleson, Decostere, Ravych, Popovic, Miangue, Van Der Brugge, Lopes da Silva, Hotic, Somers, Ueda and Deman
– In the preparation, they drew against both OGC Nice (1-1) and PSV Eindhoven (2-2)
– The Bosnian Dino Hotic is the most decisive player of the team. He scored 7 times last season and also gave 10 assists
– There are 4 youth players regularly in the starting line-up: right back Robbe Decostere, midfielder Charles Vanhoutte and strikers Thibo Somers and Olivier Deman
– The club recently changed their logo
The 30-year old Wesli De Cremer will come to the Kuipje to referee the match. It will be his 98th game in his professional career. Of the eleven matches we have had with him in the past, we have won 2, drawn 3 and lost 6.