Match report KVC Westerlo – Cercle Brugge

The first away game of the season, a trip to OH Leuven’s King Power @Den Dreef. In the Westerlo starting eleven, there are no changes compared to the game against Cercle Brugge.

Line-up KVC Westerlo: S. Bolat, E. Jordanov, R. Seigers, P. Perdichizzi, M. De Cuyper, R. Neustaedter, L. Van Eenoo, T. Van den Keybus, T. Dierckx, K. Vaesen, E. Daci

Line-up OH Leuven: V. Cojocaru, L. Patris, E. Pletinckx, D. Ouedraogo, K. Malinov, M. Al Tamari, J. Thorsteinsson, C. De Norre, M. Maertens, R. holzhauser, N. Nsingi

First Half

OHL start the first few minutes with some sloppy passes allowing our midfield to take advantage a few times to set up an attack. However, it is OHL that scores the opening goal in minute 13. Tamari crossed the ball to Patris who immediately shoots it towards goal. Bolat is still in the way but sees the ball being kicked in on the rebound by Thorsteinsson, 1-0 and a sour start to the match.

In minute 22 Daci gets a good chance. He took a shot from the left side of the box, but it was blocked by goalkeeper Cojocaru.

Our Kemphanen keep on attacking in search of the tying goal, but always come up against a solid Leuven defence. Often it is the last pass that lacks that little bit of efficiency to cause danger.

In the 39th minute, there was some confusion. De Cuyper made a small mistake after the ball went over the back line. Referee Brent Staessens blew the whistle, which made the players think of a penalty, but in the end it was a goal kick.

Immediately after this phase, Kyan Vaesen had the perfect opportunity to put the equaliser on the scoreboard, but unfortunately the ball ended up in the side netting.

The players go in to half time while 1-0 behind. In the first half we saw a hungry Westerlo, but the chances were not used efficiently enough.

Second half

In the second half, we see that one change was made at half-time. Kyan Vaesen stays in and is replaced by Lyle Foster.

The second half is less than two minutes old when OHL come out of the corner very dangerous. A sharp cross from the right flank was just missed by Nsingi and the boys got away with it.

Westerlo started the second half with a great hunger for the tying goal. Foster is strong in the game and strikes at goal, but the ball deviates and results in a corner kick.

The pressure continues but the ball just won’t go in. In the 74th minute Pietro Perdichizzi received a second yellow card after a hands ball. OHL were awarded a penalty and Raphael Holzhauser converted it to make it 2-0.

In the 84th minute Erdon Daci has to leave the field with an injury through a stretcher. He is replaced by Mathias Fixelles.

Our team were unable to score a connecting goal, and the match was called off at 2-0.

Report written by: Jordy Haesen



Team Pnt
KRC Genk 46
Union 36
Antwerp 35
Club Brugge 33
KAA Gent 30
KVC Westerlo 26
Standard 25
OH Leuven 25
Cercle Brugge 25
Anderlecht 20
Charleroi 19
KV Mechelen 18
KV Oostende 17
KAS Eupen 16
Zulte Waregem 13
KV Kortrijk 12
RFC Seraing 11