Match report KVC Westerlo – RE Virton

Today we received RE Virton in ’t Kuipje. This game was also our last game of the year 2021. After the match against RWDM was cancelled last week, it had been a while since our Kemphanen had played another match. Striking today is that Maxim De Cuyper is deployed on the right side.

Line-up KVC Westerlo

Jensen, Seigers, Perdichizzi, Mabea, Van den Keybus, Van Eenoo, Bernat, Vaesen, Daci, Foster

Line-up RE Virton

Martin, Hamzaoui, Ghazoini, Guillaume, Mouaddib, Aabbou, Anne, Awassi, Colella, Masangu, Kryeziu

First Half

The first chance of the match falls to Westerlo in the 6th minute. Vaesen recovers possession of the ball in midfield. The ball went via Bernat to Mabea who passed it to Foster. Lyle took a good shot on goal but Timothy Martin got in the way.

On the quarter hour mark Westerlo were awarded a free kick after a heavy tackle. Van Eenoo hit the target hard but the shot did not trouble the Virton goalkeeper. Maxim De Cuyper gave Erdon Daci a wonderful header from an excellent cross. Goalkeeper Martin is again very alert and keeps the ball out of the goal with a fine save.

Our team kept creating chances with excellent combination play in midfield and in attack. Virton find it hard to cope with the pressure, but the nets remain clean for the time being.

After 35 minutes we saw the first chance for Virton. The ball was passed from the left side towards the far post. David Jensen was just too late, allowing Colella to kick at the open goal but Kouya Mabea kept the ball off the line in spectacular fashion.

The score remained 0-0 in the first half but we saw Westerlo dominate the game.

Second Half

Immediately after the start of the second half Virton were awarded a penalty. Souleymane Anne calmly kicked the ball in, putting us behind, 0-1. Virton put up a solid block at the back which made it much harder to find an opening. There were some nice actions from which a chance arose, but goalkeeper Timothy Martin was always in the way.

In the 66th minute it was time for the first change for Westerlo. Edisson Jordanov comes on to the field to replace Jan Bernat. These are the first minutes for Jordanov since the injury he sustained during the international period. A few minutes later, it was Igor Vetokele’s turn to replace Kyan Vaesen.

There is still a lot of pressure, but no goals for Westel. In the 89th minute there was a free kick near the edge of the sixteen-metre area. Lukas Van Eenoo took the opportunity to get the ball out but failed to get it inside the box. Next, Foster kicked hard at goal but the ball deflected off a Virton defender. A few seconds later, the goal was finally scored! After a quick throw-in, Jordanov passed the ball towards the far post and Pietro Perdichizzi headed the ball into the net.


S. Anne (’50) 0-1

P. Perdichizzi (’93) 1-1

Report written by: Jordy Haesen
Photos by: Luc Meynaerts



Team Pnt
KRC Genk 46
Union 36
Antwerp 35
Club Brugge 33
KAA Gent 30
KVC Westerlo 26
Standard 25
OH Leuven 25
Cercle Brugge 25
Anderlecht 20
Charleroi 19
KV Mechelen 18
KV Oostende 17
KAS Eupen 16
Zulte Waregem 13
KV Kortrijk 12
RFC Seraing 11