Match report KVC Westerlo – R. Antwerp FC

Today the 1/16th final of the Croky Cup was on the programme in which we took on Antwerp. In the Westerlo starting eleven we see some changes compared to our last game. Koen Van Langendonck, Noël Soumah, Léo Seydoux and Lyle Foster replace respectively David Jensen, Kyan Vaesen, Kouya Mabea and Edisson Jordanov.

Line-up KVC Westerlo: Koen Van Langendonck, Rubin Seigers, Pietro Perdichizzi, Noël Soumah, Léo Seydoux, Lukas Van Eenoo, Thomas Van den Keybus, Jan Bernat, Maxim De Cuyper, Erdon Daci, Lyle Foster,

Line-up Antwerp: Ortwin De Wolf, Ritchie De Laet, Bjorn Engels, Birger Verstraete, Johannes Eggestein, Michel Ange Balikwisha, Pieter Gerkens, Dorian Dessoleil, Jelle Bataille, Mbwana Ally Samatta, Junior Dwomoh

First Half

The match starts with a clearly eager Antwerp football team. The first chance is theirs. Our Kemphans are reasonably well defended, so the chances are few and far between. After 20 minutes Jan Bernat hit the target with a good distance shot, but the ball deflected off an Antwerp defender. From then on it seems to be going more smoothly. Lukas Van Eenoo chipped the ball towards the second zone but was caught offside.

On the half hour Ritchie De Laet scored with a solid and well placed shot from distance, but goalie Koen Van Langendonck stopped the ball. After 32 minutes the game is over for our Kemphans. After a free kick the ball was passed to the far post. Thomas Van den Keybus was in the perfect place to head the ball into the net. 1-0 for Westerlo.

In the 40th minute Antwerp had the perfect opportunity to score the equaliser. Samatta just needs to tap the ball into the goal but misses the opportunity. A few minutes later we extended our lead further. Lyle Foster gets in front of goal and shakes the nets, 2-0 for Westerlo. With this score we went into the dressing rooms.

Second Half

After 10 minutes of football, Westerlo had a number of good opportunities to counter. The long ball did not work out and no good chances were created. After 61 minutes of play it is time for the first substitutions. Coach Jonas De Roeck brought on Lyle Foster and Jan Bernat for Oguz Guctekin and Kyan Vaesen. Kyan immediately creates danger. In minute 65 he passed his man excellently and shot over. The shot went over. Ten minutes later, it was Fernand Gouré’s turn to enter the field, Erdon Daci was allowed to rest.

The second half is clearly very physical. There are a lot of tough duels. Antwerp puts a lot of pressure on the ball, which often creates big openings in the Antwerp defence. However, it is Antwerp that scores the third goal of the match. Benson makes a good play on the right flank and the ball disappears in the goal, 2-1. It promises to be an exciting final quarter in ’t Kuipje.

In minute 86 Kyan Vaesen was pulled down in the penalty area, but the referee decided not to award a penalty. After 90 minutes, four minutes of extra time are awarded. Our players kept their concentration as always and the game ended 2-1, we move on to the next round!


Thomas Van den Keybus (’32)

Lyle Foster (’43)

Mbwana Samatta (’75)



Team Pnt
Antwerp 27
KRC Genk 25
Club Brugge 22
Union 19
OH Leuven 17
Standard 16
KVC Westerlo 15
Charleroi 15
KAA Gent 14
Anderlecht 13
KV Mechelen 11
KV Oostende 10
KV Kortrijk 10
KAS Eupen 9
RFC Seraing 9
Cercle Brugge 9
Zulte Waregem 5