Match report KVC Westerlo – Maccabi Tel Aviv

At 5 pm the second friendly of the afternoon was scheduled. In this match, our club takes on the Israeli Maccabi Tel Aviv. The team plays in the Ligat ha’AL, the highest level of Israeli professional football, and has won 24 championships in its history. 

Line-up KVC Westerlo: K. Van Langendonck, E. Jordanov (G. Saka), M. N’Diaye (Y. Chikhi), P. Perdichizzi, M. De Cuyper, O. Guctekin (S. Paulet), K. Keita, T. Van den Keybus, T. Dierckx (E. Daci), I. Vetokele (F. Goure), K. Vaesen

Line-up Maccabi Tel Aviv: D. Peretz, A. Geraldes, E. Saborit, I. Nachimas, O. Davidzada, J. Van Overeem, E. Golasa, D. BIton, P. Guigon, E. Almog, S. Perica

First Half

Both teams start the match eagerly. In the 10th minute Parfait Guigon managed to get past the Westel defence with a nice move, after which he took a hard shot towards goal. Goalkeeper Van Langendonck managed to keep the ball out of the net with a good save.

In the 20th minute Tuur Dierckx managed to get past his man with a clever move on the right flank, playing the ball through his opponent’s legs. He then passed the ball to Kyan Vaesen, but the cross was intercepted just in time.

On the half hour mark, the 1-0 is almost on the scoreboard. After a cross from the right flank, the ball was pushed towards the goal via the leg of a Maccabi Tel Aviv defender. The goalkeeper was able to save the ball just in time.

In the 35th minute our Kemphans hit the nail on the head, Thomas Van den Keybus got the ball on the left side of the sixteen meter area with lots of space. He strikes hard and sees his shot end up in the top right corner, 1-0.

Macabbi Tel Aviv tried to respond quickly, once again Guigon took a long shot from distance but again goalie Koen Van Langendonck had a good reflex.

Second half

A little after half time Thomas Van den Keybus brought the ball into the second zone after a nice action. Igor Vetokele unfortunately just didn’t hit the ball high enough to be able to head the ball on goal.

In the 64th minute the lead is increased further. Tuur Dierckx brought the ball back to Kyan Vaesen who took it and shot it towards the far corner past the goalkeeper, 2-0.

Less than a minute later Maccabi Tel Aviv almost responded after a small communication error in the Westel defense. Stipe Perica, with a Belgian past at Mouscron, could go at goal alone and shoot. Once again Van Langendonck kept the nets clean with an excellent reflex.

In minute 82 referee Wim Smet awarded a penalty to Maccabi Tel Aviv after a very slight pulling fault at a corner kick. The penalty was converted and made it 2-1.

Van den Keybus then again took a wonderful shot from distance. This time goalkeeper Daniel Peretz just had his fingertips on it, so the ball went outside and was converted into a corner. The game ends exactly at the 90th minute, the second practice match of the day also results in a win.

Report written by: Jordy Haesen
Pictures: Luc Meynaerts



Team Pnt
KRC Genk 46
Union 36
Antwerp 35
Club Brugge 33
KAA Gent 30
KVC Westerlo 26
Standard 25
OH Leuven 25
Cercle Brugge 25
Anderlecht 20
Charleroi 19
KV Mechelen 18
KV Oostende 17
KAS Eupen 16
Zulte Waregem 13
KV Kortrijk 12
RFC Seraing 11