Match report Charleroi – KVC Westerlo

Today we made the trip to faraway Charleroi. After last week’s three points at home against Anderlecht, we were naturally very keen to continue this trend. Our coach made some changes to the starting eleven. Dierckx started on the bench, in his place comes Halil Akbunar who managed to score last week. Mineiro was also allowed to start after his good substitution today.

Line-up KVC Westerlo: S. Bolat, B. Reynolds, R. Seigers, R. Tagir, M. De Cuyper, N. Madsen, L. Mineiro, N Chadli, H. Akbunar, L. Foster, I. Vetokele

Line-up Charleroi: H. Koffi, S. Knezevic, S. Andreou, L. A. Bessilé, K. Nkuba, M. Ilaimaharitra, A. Zorgane, J. Tchatchoua, A. Gholizadeh, I. Mbenza, D. Heymans

First Half

We came away with a scare in the first minute. Reynolds, with a bad return ball, almost allowed Heymans to score. Seigers was still in between the shot with a good tackle which cleared the danger. However, Reynolds immediately put his mistake right by putting the opening goal on the scoreboard early in the game. De Cuyper got past two defenders with a very clever move and provided an excellent assist.

Then De Cuyper also picked up a goal himself. With an excellent placing ball into the far corner, he outsmarted goalkeeper Koffi to make it 0-2. An excellent start for our Kemphans.

Charleroi tried to answer Westerlo by putting high pressure but this did not really cause any problems. The opponent didn’t get a good shot between the posts yet, but still they manage to score the tying goal in minute 36. Mbenzo ran free at the far post and just had to push the cross into the goal.

After a good first half, our Kemphans went into the locker rooms with a 1-2 lead. Certainly not undeserved after an excellent performance by Maxim De Cuyper.

Second Half

Early in the second half we saw a header chance for Lyle Foster. He couldn’t hit the ball well enough so the ball ended up behind the goal. Other than that, the first quarter of an hour went pretty quiet. Along both sides we didn’t really see any opportunities.

A little past the hour, De Roeck decided it was time to bring some fresh blood into the team. Mineiro and Vetokele were brought to the side. Perdichizzi and Fixelles replaced them. A few minutes later it was also the turn of Kyan Vaesen and Tuur Dierckx.

It was mainly Charleroi that had to put pressure to get an equalizer. Our Kemphans played a little more cautiously than in the first half and were more defensive in order to maintain the lead.

In minute 75, Bolat lashed out with an excellent save. Nkuba got in front of goal but Bolat didn’t stick around and came out well.

In minute 88, the 3 points seemed to pass under our noses. Invader Badji managed to buy the 2-2 after a corner kick. Westerlo reacted excellently and managed to get right back into the lead. Fixelles sprinted away well and managed to send Nene deep. Nene then laid the ball off to Kyan Vaesen who finished very controlled and brought Westerlo back into the lead. Excellent play by the incoming trio.


Bryan Reynolds (3′)
Maxim De Cuyper (10′)
Isaac Mbenza (36′)
Youssouph Badji (88′)



Team Pnt
Antwerp 27
KRC Genk 22
Club Brugge 19
OH Leuven 17
Standard 16
Union 16
KAA Gent 14
Anderlecht 13
Charleroi 12
KVC Westerlo 12
KV Mechelen 11
KV Oostende 12
KV Kortrijk 7
KAS Eupen 6
RFC Seraing 6
Cercle Brugge 6
Zulte Waregem 5