Lost at ’t Lisp

Today it was time to play the postponed match against Lierse Kempenzonen at ’t Lisp. There is a lot at stake in this match as a win means a chance to play champion at home on Sunday.

Line up KVC Westerlo

D. Jensen, L. Seydoux, N. Soumah, R. Seigers, K. Mabea, M. FIxelles, L. Van Eenoo, T. Van den Keybus, M. De Cuyper, E. Daci, L. Foster

Line up Lierse Kempenzonen

J. Teunckens, P. De Schrijver, J. GIllekens, S. Bitsindou, J. Poelmans, J. Hendrickx, T. Van Acker, T. Swinnen, S. Limbombe, H. D. Abdallah, J. Liongola

First Half

The game starts with a lot of pressure from the Westel side. The ball is played forward quickly but apart from a corner kick there is no good chance in the first quarter. A few minutes later, the chances started to appear. First a header went just over the goal and then two shooting chances were converted into corner kicks.

In minute 20 Erdon Daci headed well at goal after a good cross from Mabea, but we see the shot being blocked by goalkeeper Jens Teunckens. The game then played out almost exclusively on the Lierse half, and for the first half hour our goalie David Jensen had no work to do.

In the 39th minute we saw another good chance for our Kemphans. After some good passing between Fixelles and Daci, the ball was played to Maxim De Cuyper on the left flank. Maxim first passed the ball back to Mabea, after which it landed at the feet of Lyle Foster. Foster kicked at goal but again the shot was blocked by Jens Teunckens.

Despite the fact that Westerlo were the lords and masters of the match throughout the first half with 81% of the ball possession, we still fell behind in minute 45. David Jensen wanted to play the ball to Rubin Seigers, but the pass was intercepted by Thibaut Van Acker. Van Acker immediately lashed out in the direction of goal and saw the ball end up in the net, 1-0. This is also the half-time score.

Second Half

The second half started with high pressure. Foster played himself well past the Lierse defenders in the 56th minute. He then passed the ball to Daci, but Daci shot the ball over the goal.

Westerlo continued to apply pressure and this resulted in a number of good opportunities, but often it was the last pass that went wrong. In the 66th minute we also see a fine example of football. Mabea put the ball through to Foster with an excellent chop. Next, De Cuyper receives the ball and passes it to Van den Keybus and Van Eenoo, who both just miss the ball.

In the 70th minute it was time for the first change. Jan Bernat entered the field and replaced Mathias Fixelles. 12 minutes later it’s the turn of Vetokele and Yameogo, they replace Soumah and Mabea.

In the 90th minute, we get the ultimate chance for the equaliser. Vetokele plays himself free and gets the ball in the penalty area. He hits the target but Jens Teunckens keeps the ball out of reach.

After 94 minutes the match is over. The derby is lost 1-0.



Team Pnt
Antwerp 27
KRC Genk 22
Club Brugge 19
OH Leuven 17
Standard 16
Union 16
KAA Gent 14
Anderlecht 13
Charleroi 12
KVC Westerlo 12
KV Mechelen 11
KV Oostende 12
KV Kortrijk 7
KAS Eupen 6
RFC Seraing 6
Cercle Brugge 6
Zulte Waregem 5